As we get ready for the holidays I am always looking for inexpensive decorations that I can theme to match whatever colors and shapes I happen to be into that year. I don’t want to spend a fortune but I love to have pieces that are new each year. A great way to do this is with glass candle jars.
The idea came from a post at Momtastic about doing 4th of July star jars. This project is easy and fun. Here are the steps.
- Gather glass jars of various sizes. Be sure that volute or tea light candles will fit in the jars. Wash the jars thoroughly and let them dry completely.
- Get stickers in various simple shapes for the holiday you are making the jars. For example – leaves for fall/Thanksgiving, stars or trees for Christmas, etc.
- Put the stickers on your jars. Arrange them randomly or to tell a story. Really press the stickers onto your jars.
- Select spray paint in your current favorite colors. Spray the jars.
- Allow the jar to dry for 15 -90 minutes and then peel off the stickers.
- Allow the jar to dry according to the paint directions (usually 24-48 hours).
- Put your candle in and enjoy!
TIP: Use battery-powered votive or tea light candles for longer lasting light.