I have purchased expensive jewelry cleaner before. It does a fabulous job. But in Taiwan I didn’t have access to a jewelry cleaning solution and had to make my own. Guess what – that worked too! This is especially great for all my silver jewelry but it works on gold too! Here is the simple recipe:
- 1 cup hot water – just from the tap
- 2 tbsp. baking soda
- Mix water, baking soda, and Dawn (if needed)
- Line a small bowl with foil
- Pour mixture with foil
- Place jewelry on foil and let it set for 5-10 minutes
- Rinse with cold water and dry with a soft cloth
TIP: Use a new batch of cleaner for each set of jewelry. Don’t re-use cleaner.
TIP: If jewelry is especially dirty, rub it on the foil. This will help make sure the proper chemical reaction takes place and gets all the grime off your jewelry.
TIP: If you are out of the house and don’t have access to these ingredients, try using a small amount of toothpaste. Rub jewelry in toothpaste in your palm. Rinse thoroughly with cold water.